Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring At Last

I have spent most of the time out in the front cleaning up the beds and cutting up the firewood and tidying up in the drive. Spring has been a bit slow here but its finally starting to bloom. The greenhouse has quite a few of its regulars in bloom so I will just post some pictures for you all to enjoy, in case spring is slow for you as well.

Rhododendron 'Christmas Cheer', started from a slip back in 1975

I don't know the name of this pink Camelia but it was on the property when I purchased it from the original owner Lucy Warner


Marsh Marigold a very invasive plant


Daphnae odora, planted in mass at the back door

Star Magnolia is just starting to open up

Moss, we have an abundance of it everywhere, thanks to Oregon rain.


Cymbidium ‘Kenny Takaki’

Odontoglossum ‘Tahoma Glacier Wilma’

Paphiopedilum ‘Macabre’


Phaleanopsis ‘Meller Gold’

And more........Moss









10 comments:

  1. I love your green thumb, Doc. Thanks for all the wonderful photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Camelia is a lovely colour, very delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    My pleasure.

    Rob,
    So delicate that the first bit of moisture and they are in ruin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Doc, I can almost smell that wonderful daphnae odora from here! The plant that you call 'marsh marigold' is known here as the horribly invasive weed, 'lesser celandine'. Luckily it's fairly shallow rooted and easy to dig up, (although there is always a bit left over to spread for another year!)
    Good that we both have an anonymous pink camellia to drool over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary,
    When I built my Koi pond a well meaning friend gave us a little pot of this Marsh Marigold or lesser celandine. I was delighted with it at the time and planted it like a fool in the bog area. Now the blasted thing even comes up in our container plants, whats next the orchid house? It really is the plant from hell. I do wish that someone could identify that camellia for me as I am a stickler that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blooms and plants...the orchids are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing collection of orchids you have there Doc! I am envious of your ability to grow these plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theanne,
    So happy you enjoyed them, hope you are feeling better.

    Jag,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and welcome.

    Carla,
    Thanks its nice to be able to count on having flowers in bloom all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Doc...I'm feeling much better...still have a bit of cough lingering on though!

    ReplyDelete