Sunday, August 19, 2012

Flower Power

You may recall my post from April 13, 2012 "G-Pa P's Geraniums".
I mentioned that I made a change in the rose garden to make room for a nice display of them. They show well here in the front garden and bring many comments from passersby.

This year I made the greenhouse work for its keep.  
I purchased no annuals for the gardens as I grew everything from seed.

Marigold Mickey

Part of the new vegetable garden is a couple of large picking gardens for MeMa to fill the house with flowers.
Dahlias and zinnias on the front porch sitting area 

The rose garden loved our long cold spring as they are really producing now.
This one is called First Love
Fresh picked zinnias in the sun room



This rose is "Jude the Obscure"

And Fresh from the Greenhouse
Oncidium "Golden Honey"


Oncidium "Ruby Doll"

14 comments:

  1. I had no idea a rose had been named after Jude the Obscure. 'Jude' must be one of the world's most depressing books... unlike the look of that rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love your flowers, Doc. And I love your creativity, too!
    Do the little terrorists love Marigold Mickey? That is great! :o)
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda and yes the little Terrorists love Marigold Mickey.

      Delete
  3. How jolly those zinnias look, Doc, I shall have a go at growing some next year. Isn't it satisfying to grow your own plants from seed!

    The Austin rose looks beautiful but I could never grow it because 'Jude the Obscure' is the one book of Thomas Hardy's that I really dislike. I do like a flower, or indeed, vegetable when it has a name that fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost dug the rose out as it started out so miserable, the flowers fell apart as soon as MeMa brought them into the house and the fragrance was nothing they told us it was. With spade in hand I was convinced to leave it another week and it made a complete turn. It is lasting as picked and fills the house with fragrance.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! This time of year about all we have blooming is Zinnia,they can take the late summer heat in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the goaties love Zinnias as well ;o)

      Delete
  5. I must show my husband this post - he is all about vegetables, I want more flowers. Your flowers all look wonderful - I particularly like the roses and the geraniums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Happy wife, happy life".....More flowers!

      Delete
  6. To the other Meemaw and Poppy,
    I have just recently found I have family in Oregon.Very distant relatives, but your love for gardening, and you living there, made me wonder if it might be possible. I guess there are many folks who love gardening,as we do, but,the thought that we might have a few genes in common,and possibly be related, came to my mind.However,I have not studied the family tree that extensively to know the names of my kin in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn’t surprise me if we are related, it’s a smaller world than you would think sometimes.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Blondie, it was good to see you yesterday.

      Delete