Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Journey Continues


Although the temperature is 51 degrees it is sunny and beautiful out so While MeMa rested by the fire and read I took advantage of the good weather and went out into the garden. earlier in the fall I had taken a bunch of cuttings of my grandfather Potters geraniums and stuck them in a jar of water to form roots so first job was potting them up. That done I went out to the front garden and hoed over all of the planting beds. It always looks so fresh and clean after and got plenty of comments from passers by. 



Earlier I had decided to reduce the number of roses in the rose garden. 


We had over forty roses which as plants go are more work than most parts of the gardens. MeMa always has cut flowers and in the past the rooms were filled with roses but after I put in her "picking garden" she has used mostly dahlias and perennials from the main garden. 




So I made a list of roses that would stay and another list of roses to remove. I carefully dug the roses out and put them in nursery pots, then MeMa made labels for each and I put them on the front walkway with a big sign that says "Free". It was about fifteen minutes before a nice lady in a big pickup truck stopped and loaded all of the roses into the back. She told me her sister lost everything in one of last years forest fires including her rose garden. She said they are having a new home built and these are going to bring her such joy. I told her that I am glad that I could be part of that joy and wished her good luck as she pulled away.


The gardens here at Menagerie Manor are high maintenance which I have never complained about, I have always enjoyed spending every spare hour keeping everything looking its best. But with the recent health issues my lovely wife has gone through, the desire to be in the gardens has dwindled. It is a good thing that I got rid of all lawn areas years ago. Every garden chore other than general tidiness, is on a monthly calendar. So when any tree or shrub needs pruning, then it is on the calendar, if a perennial needs cutting back or needs to be dug up and divided then it's on the calendar. When my orchids need monthly or bi-monthly fertilizer, it's on the calendar.  I keep a hard copy of the calendars in the garden shed and I have them all in an electronic folder in my computer so there is never a job undone. This has proved to be an invaluable tool in maintaining such gardens. 




When I am out in the garden all I think about is my wife and if she is needing something or if she would like to go for a drive or a walk with the dog.  Cancer is such an evil disease and I won't let it take a minute of time away from us. MeMa has been feeling so strong as of late but after her last CT scan they found that her lymph nodes were swollen and there was a suspicious tiny spot on one of them, so after a mammogram and an ultrasound they now want a biopsy. If anything they have caught it early on, it also could be scar tissue from the chemotherapy. Regardless, the up's and down's of this journey are exhausting. There may be long periods of time when posting on Blogger is the furthest from my mind. So I will apologize in advance.

 

5 comments:

  1. Your gardens are just beyond beautiful and so glad your roses went to t new home. My sister has some new tiny mets and is going to MDAnderson next week. The one on her spine they radiated and put cement to hold the vertebra. New one on hip and in lung, but they are all small and will be taken care of. I just know that MeMa's will be the same. Every day they come up with new drugs to stop the spread of new tumors and that is really the best thing yet. To stop the spread. I know you and MeMa will have a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologise, Doc. We totally understand.
    Praying for you both.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gardens take my breath away! Gorgeous! I'm glad someone gave the roses a good home. It's obvious that you've put in years worth of hard work in your garden and it's payed off beatifully!

    Sorry to hear that you and Meemaw are both still in the thick of health issues. Please take care of yourselves and don't worry about the blog if you don't have the time or energy to update it. We're not going anywhere! Just please let us know how you're doing occasionally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You owe us no apologies. I have followed your beautiful gardens for years, and now I follow your devoted care to the best of all. You continue your good job and the occasional update will keep me pleased. You're in my thoughts, always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The organisation of your calendar shows in your wonderful garden. How lovely that the lady got your roses for her sister - it is good to know they are going to a good home. We always find when we put plants out for free that they disappear at night so we don't know who takes them. With prayers for both MeMa and you.

    ReplyDelete