Friday, July 18, 2014

2014, A Promise For A Better Year

 Without mincing words, last year was a shitty year...sorry but it was the worst we have had in many.  Independence day came and went, we turned the music up to help drown out all the illegal fireworks.  It seemed to work for the dogs as when we came back they all seemed like they handled it well.

"Little Terrorist #3" Lucy

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my mother's death so MeMa made up a lovely bouquet from the garden and we took them up to pay our respects.
We both are a bit worn out. Friday we hosted a large retirement party for the"Vegas Girls" as they both retired from the School District.  MeMa made all the food and I played bartender. Prior to the party we both worked until we dropped getting the gardens looking their finest.  I am hoping that I have hauled my last load of mulch and gravel, although I am on a first name basis with the lovely young lady that works in the loading office.






We have had some record hot weather to work in so when I did any plantings they had to watered several times a day.  A couple of years ago I found a plant tree which was perfect for displaying what was left of my late mothers begonia collection.  They are thriving nicely on the front porch were they get the morning light.


Most of the work was done in the back gardens but we started at the front walk weeding and laying mulch until we ended at the very back fence.  All the work was done inside and out before the party, MeMa did a wonderful job making all the food even bravely adding two new cold dishes to the fare.  
 It all turned out fantastic and everyone had a great time regardless of the heat, the last guest leaving at 11:30pm.

MeMa and her Banana Buddy
 Everything decided to bloom early this year, probably the warm spring which will give Oregon a longer growing season.  Shame I didn't get more vegetables in the garden it would have brought an amazing harvest.

We now have eight colors of phlox
 
I wish they would develop a poppy that would hold it together more than a day



My historic Zimmerman Hydrangea



Dahlia 'Lindy'




Dahlia 'Kasasagi'




Dahlia 'Boogie Woogie'


MeMa's kitchen window box



The "Yuma Garden" is thriving in the heat  


MeMa's Mandevilla vine




Taeya's school sold plants for a fundraiser and the honey bees love these little drumstick allium 


I harvested my garlic from the lower bed



Tomato harvest starts with these cherries


These patty pan's are the only summer squash planted this year



































6 comments:

  1. I was thinking, as I scrolled through the pictures, perhaps the garden was fertilized with all that shit. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc, *hugs* again on the loss of your mother and all the rest that you went through.
    You have such a lovely yard. I hope you both got all the complements and thanks that you both deserved for what must have been a wonderful gathering. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the year ahead is a better one. Your garden looks just great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good! It's a bumper year over here too this year, everything is going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya Doc! The weather in our area has been so hot. My tomato harvest has been so small compared to previous years.

    Love the flowers you are growing. Your mother grew begonias and mine grew dahlias. Dahlias are difficult for me here with the heat. They do pretty good until June and then unless we have cooler days they burn and fade away.

    Let's hope we all have better years ahead. So sorry to hear of your mother's passing, I know it has been a year but I am sure it still feels like it just happened.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete