Friday, November 16, 2012

The Missing Drawer

A while back MeMa brought this single wooden drawer home knowing that her husband has a thing for cool boxes and drawers.
It was left on the school's loading dock just outside the library windows when she noticed it, and knowing that this is where things are placed prior to being dropped into the trash dumpster she placed the drawer into her car and sent me a photo.  When I got home I carried the drawer out to my tool shop.  It has all these lovely dividers which will work great for little odds and ends that I never know what to do with.
About three days later I received another picture message from MeMa titled "recognize the missing drawer"?

I immediately text back, "Are we in trouble?" To which her response was, "No, they just were slower getting this monster out of the building, it's headed for the trash."  I quickly closed up the office and while running to my van I text that I was on my way and that I wanted the "monster".  Well built is the only way to describe this piece of furniture as now days items such as these are made out of that imitation wood in order to make them in mass quantities and made so they can be easily moved. Problem being they are also made to easily get rid of in this throw away society that we live in.  After arriving I immediately started making room for it in the van, while MeMa and the school custodian stood shaking their heads telling me it was too heavy to lift.  I told them one way or the other it was coming home to my tool shop.  I started pulling drawers out and loading them up on the back seat when MeMa said she would go sweet talk the other custodians into helping me load the box.  It took myself and three others to lift it into the back and even then I had to drive the short way home with it hanging out the back of the van about a foot.  After getting it home I placed my appliance mover at the back of the van then shoved with all my might and dropped the beast directly in place.  I then strapped it on and moved it into place were my old roll around tool box currently sat.

The back of the box is angled allowing each drawer to be a little deeper in length than the drawer above it.  Some drawers are also very shallow while others are deep making it an excellent tool box.  There are twenty four drawers and each one has from two to four wood dividers giving me plenty of room for tools and other instruments that are usually stuffed in the three tool boxes and the roll around that are now empty and have found new homes.

My shop is complete with this addition, everything is organized and has its place.  I guess I have no excuse for not getting some of the projects done that clutter my work bench.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I would have grabbed that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc - what a wonderful find. It is just what I have been looking for. How could anyone just dump it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Great that MeMa spotted the rest of it and you were able to get it. A great tool chest, indeed! I love old furniture. :o)

    ReplyDelete