Friday, October 29, 2010

From The Garden History Book - Monkey Pod Tree

On our 2007 trip to Oahu we visited the Iolani Palace. After touring the inside we went on a self guided tour of the grounds. In the very upper left of this photo you can see a bit of the leaves from the giant Monkey Pod tree planted in the front lawn of the palace . I was taking pictures of  some of the plants and noticed that there were a great number of pods laying in the lawn under this giant old tree, so I slipped one into my camera case. After arriving home from our trip I planted a couple of the seeds and two of them germinated. One dried up while still in the sprout stage, but the other one continued to grow. I pull it out of the pot every couple of years and trim the roots in order to maintain it as an indoor bonsai tree. I keep it in the greenhouse during the summer months and then bring it to my office for the winter.

Albizia saman "Monkey Pod Tree"


Not your usual office plant material

4 comments:

  1. That is really neat. You sure do have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO!!! Somehow I've missed your last several posts and am caught up now! (I've got to pay better attention!) But I also gathered some seed pods this summer from where my Grandfathers house used to stand in KY, and I hope that a tree will grow from one of them--Your post has given me a little hope that just maybe they will!

    I hope you're having a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, May I ask what kind of seeds are they? Sometimes there is a trick to getting seeds to germinate such as a freeze or scoring the seed case.

    ReplyDelete